Maintaining a journal is a fantastic tool in many ways, it can help maintain awareness of exactly what you are eating and doing, it can help you stay focused on the job in hand and can provide useful feedback for your trainer.
While journals will typically be private, with you sharing things with your trainer, MY journal is being written and published to the world at large. The purpose of this is that it:
- provides a real example of how you can go from couch potato to a healthier lifestyle
- documents the “journey” of a perfectly ordinary individual — proving that YOU can do it too
- shows the bad stuff as well as the good, so everyone can see that slip-ups occur and simply get dealt with
- keeps me honest and accountable with my own efforts
Of these, the last point is perhaps my biggest motivator; I’ve joined gyms before and then fallen off the wagon after 6 months, 12 months etc. That said, I am very much excited by the potential to help even just one other person become healthier.
- 23 May 2013 — No Expectations
- 22 May 2013 — Alcohol Is Free
- 21 May 2013 — Waiting for the Sun
- 20 May 2013 — Only Teardrops
- 17 May 2013 — Eric’s Theme
- 16 May 2013 — Space Oddity
- 15 May 2013 — Tubular Bells
- 14 May 2013 — Ohio
- 10 May 2013 — Goodbye Sir Alex Ferguson
- 09 May 2013 — Happy Birthday
For the complete daily journal archives click here
You may notice a theme with the journal entry titles — they are mostly song titles.
I like music, so I include a YouTube music video with each journal entry.
Unfortunately a recent server move mysteriously caused the removal of the YouTube embed code, so most of the pre-2013 stuff is now video-less.